Your reverse index of "which rows contain a column named X" will have very wide rows. You could look at cassandra's secondary indexing, or possibly look at a solandra/solr approach. Another option is you can shift the problem slightly, "which rows have column X that was added between time y and time z". Remember with few distinct column names that reverse index of column to row is going to be a very big list.