Thanks Gregg & Aaron. Missed that setting!

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013, aaron morton wrote:
Set the min and max
compaction thresholds for a given column family
+1 for setting the max_compaction_threshold (as well as the min) on the a CF when you are getting behind. It can limit the size of the compactions and give things a chance to complete in a reasonable time.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand