I just asked this exact same question but after maybe after reading a bit more doc than you did. You may want to read this thread: http://grokbase.com/t/cassandra/user/134j85av4x/ec2snitch-to-ec2multiregionsnitch

You also may want to read some doc. Datastax explain things quite well and update the doc regularly.

Hope this will help.