What are the proper compaction settings for the hints CF?  Mine are:
compaction={'min_threshold': '0', 'class':
'SizeTieredCompactionStrategy', 'max_threshold': '0'}
Compaction is run manually by the code when it finishes delivering hints.

Is hints compaction a common problem?  What are steps to remedy?
Any errors in the logs ?
Are there many -tmp- files in the hint's dir ?
Is your cluster having problems with flapping nodes or dropped messages that result in a lot of hint storage?

You could use nodetool to stop the compaction tasks then run a major compaction on the Hints CF.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton

Several of my nodes have been compacting system.hints for over 24
hours with no progress, causing high load on otherwise idle nodes.
I'm seeing 30-50 Data.db files in system/hints/

What are the proper compaction settings for the hints CF?  Mine are:
compaction={'min_threshold': '0', 'class':
'SizeTieredCompactionStrategy', 'max_threshold': '0'}

Is hints compaction a common problem?  What are steps to remedy?

Thanks!

Dane