From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Re: Data Modeling: How to keep track of arbitrarily inserted column names?
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 18:37:54 GMT
One thing I can do is to have a client-side cache of the keys to reduce the number of updates.

On Apr 5, 2013, at 6:14 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since there are few column names what you can do is this. Make a reverse index, low read
repair chance, Be aggressive with compaction. It will be many extra writes but that is ok.

> Other option is turn on row cache and try read before write. It is a good case for row
cache because it is a very small data set.

> On Thursday, April 4, 2013, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
> > I don't really need to answer "what rows contain column named X", so no need for
a reverse index here. All I want is a distinct set of all the column names, so I can answer
"what are all the available column names"

> > On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Your reverse index of "which rows contain a column named X" will have very wide
rows. You could look at cassandra's secondary indexing, or possibly look at a solandra/solr
approach. Another option is you can shift the problem slightly, "which rows have column X
that was added between time y and time z". Remember with few distinct column names that reverse
index of column to row is going to be a very big list.

> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Edward,
> >> I anticipate that the column names will be reused a lot. For example, key1 will
be in many rows. So I think the number of distinct column names will be much much smaller
than the number of rows. Is there a way to have a separate CF that keeps track of the column
names?
> >> What I was thinking was to have a separate CF that I write only the column name
with a null value in there every time I write a key/value to the main CF. In this case if
that column name exist, then it will just be overridden. Now if I wanted to get all the column
names, then I can just query that CF. Not sure if that's the best approach at high load (100k
inserts a second).
> >> -- Drew
> >>
> >> On Apr 4, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can not get only the column name (which you are calling a key) you can use
get_range_slice which returns all the columns. When you specify an empty byte array (new byte[0]{})
as the start and finish you get back all the columns. From there you can return only the columns
to the user in a format that you like.

free CF where end users can insert arbitrary key/value pairs per row. What would be the best
way to know what are all the "keys" that were inserted (preferably w/o any locking). For example,

be {key1, key2, key3, key4, key5}