From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: multiple Datacenter values in PropertyFileSnitch
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:47:59 GMT
A node can only exist in one DC and one rack.

Use different keyspaces as suggested.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 12/04/2013, at 1:47 AM, Jabbar Azam <ajazam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not an expert but I don't think you can do what you want. The way to separate data
for applications on the same cluster is to use different tables for different applications
or use multiple keyspaces, a keyspace per application. The replication factor you specify
for each keyspace specifies how many copies of the data are stored in each datacenter.

> You can't specify that data for a particular application is stored on a specific node,
unless that node is in its own cluster.

> I think of a cassandra cluster as a shared resource where all the applications have access
to all the nodes in the cluster.

> Thanks
>
> Jabbar Azam
>

> On 11 April 2013 14:13, Matthias Zeilinger <Matthias.Zeilinger@bwinparty.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would like to create big cluster for many applications.
>
> Within this cluster I would like to separate the data for each application, which can
be easily done via different virtual datacenters and the correct replication strategy.

> What I would like to know, if I can specify for 1 node multiple values in the PropertyFileSnitch
configuration, so that I can use 1 node for more applications?