From Paul Sudol <paulsu...@gmail.com>
Subject Repair hangs when merkle tree request is not acknowledged
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 13:11:41 GMT
Hello,

I have a cluster with 4 nodes, 2 nodes in 2 data centers. I had a hardware failure in one
DC and had to replace the nodes. I'm running 1.2.3 on all of the nodes now. I was able to
run nodetool rebuild on the two replacement nodes, but now I cannot finish a repair on any
of them. I have 18 column families, if I run a repair on a single CF at a time, I can get
the node repaired eventually. A repair on a certain CF will fail, and I run it again and again,
eventually it will succeed.

I've got an RF of 2, 1 copy in each DC, so the repair needs to pull data from the other DC
to finish it's repair.

The problem seems to be that the merkle tree request sometimes is not received by the node
in the other DC. Usually when the merkle tree request is sent, the nodes that it was sent
to start a compaciton/validation. In certain cases this does not happen, only the node that
I ran the repair on will begin compaction/validation and send the merkle tree to itself. Then
it's waiting for a merkle tree from the other node, and it will never get it. After about
24 hours it will time out and say the node in question died.

Is there a setting I can use to force the merkle tree request to be acknowledged or resent
if it's not acknowledged? I setup NTPD on all the nodes and tried the cross_node_timeout,
but that did not help.

Thanks in advance,

Paul