From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Re: Data Modeling: How to keep track of arbitrarily inserted column names?
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 00:55:06 GMT
I don't really need to answer "what rows contain column named X", so no need for a reverse
index here. All I want is a distinct set of all the column names, so I can answer "what are
all the available column names"

On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your reverse index of "which rows contain a column named X" will have very wide rows.
You could look at cassandra's secondary indexing, or possibly look at a solandra/solr approach.
Another option is you can shift the problem slightly, "which rows have column X that was added
between time y and time z". Remember with few distinct column names that reverse index of
column to row is going to be a very big list.

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
> Hi Edward,
>
> I anticipate that the column names will be reused a lot. For example, key1 will be in
many rows. So I think the number of distinct column names will be much much smaller than the
number of rows. Is there a way to have a separate CF that keeps track of the column names?

> What I was thinking was to have a separate CF that I write only the column name with
a null value in there every time I write a key/value to the main CF. In this case if that
column name exist, then it will just be overridden. Now if I wanted to get all the column
names, then I can just query that CF. Not sure if that's the best approach at high load (100k
inserts a second).

> -- Drew
>

> On Apr 4, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can not get only the column name (which you are calling a key) you can use get_range_slice
which returns all the columns. When you specify an empty byte array (new byte[0]{}) as the
start and finish you get back all the columns. From there you can return only the columns
to the user in a format that you like.

>> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> I'm working on a project and one of the requirements is to have a schema free CF
where end users can insert arbitrary key/value pairs per row. What would be the best way to
know what are all the "keys" that were inserted (preferably w/o any locking). For example,