From Arya Goudarzi <gouda...@gmail.com>
Subject Problem loading Saved Key-Cache on 1.2.3 after upgrading from 1.1.10
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 00:41:55 GMT
Hi,

I have upgraded 2 nodes out of a 12 mode test cluster from 1.1.10 to 1.2.3.
During startup while tailing C*'s system.log, I observed a series of
SSTable batch load messages and skipping sstable due to bloom filter debug
messages which is normal for startup, but when it reached loading saved key
caches, it gets stuck forever. The I/O wait stays high in the CPU graph and
I/O ops are sent to disk, but C* never passes that step of loading the key
cache file successfully. The saved key cache file was about 75MB on one
node and 125MB on the other node and they were for different CFs.

[image: Inline image 2]

The CPU I/O wait constantly stayed at 40%~ while system.log was stuck at
The workaround was to delete the saved cache files and things loaded fine
(See marked Normal Startup).

These machines are m1.xlarge EC2 instances. And this issue happened on both
nodes upgraded. This did not happen during exercise of upgrade from 1.1.6
to 1.2.2 using the same snapshot.

Should I raise a JIRA?

-Arya