From Techy Teck <comptechge...@gmail.com>
Subject Datastax API which uses Binary protocol- Quick question
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 02:02:25 GMT
I have started working with Cassandra database. I am planning to use
Datastax API to upsert/read into/from cassandra database. I am totally new
to this Datastax API (which uses new Binary protocol) and I am not able to
find lot of documentations as well which have some proper examples.

I am not sure what is the appropriate mailing list to post these type of
question as I cannot find Datastax API (which uses new Binary protocol)
mailing list.

When I was working with Cassandra CLI using the Netflix client(Astyanax
client), then I created the column family like this-

    create column family profile
    with key_validation_class = 'UTF8Type'
    and comparator = 'UTF8Type'
    and default_validation_class = 'UTF8Type'
    and column_metadata = [
      {column_name : crd, validation_class : 'DateType'}
      {column_name : lmd, validation_class : 'DateType'}
      {column_name : account, validation_class : 'UTF8Type'}
      {column_name : advertising, validation_class : 'UTF8Type'}
      {column_name : behavior, validation_class : 'UTF8Type'}
      {column_name : info, validation_class : 'UTF8Type'}
      ];

Now I was trying to do the same thing using Datastax API. So to start
working with Datastax API, do I need to create the column family in some
different way as mentioned above? Or the above column familiy will work
fine whenever I will try to insert data into Cassandra database using
Datastax API.

If the above column family will not work then-

First of all I have created the KEYSPACE like below-

`CREATE KEYSPACE USERS WITH strategy_class = 'SimpleStrategy' AND
strategy_options:replication_factor = '1';`

Now I am confuse how to create the table? I am not sure which is the right
way to do that?

Should I create like this?

`CREATE TABLE profile (
id varchar,
account varchar,
advertising varchar,
behavior varchar,
info varchar,
PRIMARY KEY (id)
);`

or should I create like this?

`CREATE COLUMN FAMILY profile (
id varchar,
account varchar,
advertising varchar,
behavior varchar,
info varchar,
PRIMARY KEY (id)
);`

And also how to add-

    crd as DateType
    lmd as DateType

in above table or column family while working with Datastax API?

Any help will be appreciated.