From Lanny Ripple <la...@spotright.com>
Subject Re: Thrift message length exceeded
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:49:22 GMT
Good catch since that bug also would have shut us down.

The original problem is that previous to Cass 1.1.10 it looks like cassandra.yaml values

  * thrift_framed_transport_size_in_mb
  * thrift_max_message_length_in_mb

were ignored (in favor of effectively no limits).  We went from 1.1.5 to 1.2.3 and these were
suddenly turned on for us (and way too low for our data).

Also have confirmed your supplied patch2 works for us.

  -ljr

On Apr 22, 2013, at 6:57 AM, Oleksandr Petrov <oleksandr.petrov@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've submitted a patch that fixes the issue for 1.2.3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5504
>
> Maybe guys know a better way to fix it, but that helped me in a meanwhile.
>

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Oleksandr Petrov <oleksandr.petrov@gmail.com>
wrote:
> If you're using Cassandra 1.2.3, and new Hadoop interface, that would make a call to
next(), you'll have an eternal loop reading same things all over again from your cassandra
nodes (you may see it if you enable Debug output).

> next() is clearing key() which is required for Wide Row iteration.
>
> Setting key back fixed issue for me.
>

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Oleksandr Petrov <oleksandr.petrov@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Tried to isolate the issue in testing environment,
>
> What I currently have:
>
> That's a setup for test:
> CREATE KEYSPACE cascading_cassandra WITH replication = {'class' : 'SimpleStrategy', 'replication_factor'
: 1};
> USE cascading_cassandra;
> CREATE TABLE libraries (emitted_at timestamp, additional_info varchar, environment varchar,
application varchar, type varchar, PRIMARY KEY (application, environment, type, emitted_at))
WITH COMPACT STORAGE;

> Next, insert some test data:
>
> (just for example)
> [INSERT INTO libraries (application, environment, type, additional_info, emitted_at)
VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?); [app env type 0 #inst "2013-04-20T13:01:04.935-00:00"]]

> If keys (e.q. "app" "env" "type") are all same across the dataset, it works correctly.
> As soon as I start varying keys, e.q. "app1", "app2", "app3" or others, I get the error
with Message Length Exceeded.

> Does anyone have some ideas?
> Thanks for help!
>

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Oleksandr Petrov <oleksandr.petrov@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I can confirm running same problem.
>
> Tried ConfigHelper.setThriftMaxMessageLengthInMb();, and tuning server side, reducing/increasing
batch size.

> Here's stacktrace from Hadoop/Cassandra, maybe it could give a hint:
>
> Caused by: org.apache.thrift.protocol.TProtocolException: Message length exceeded: 8
> 	at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.checkReadLength(TBinaryProtocol.java:393)
>
> 	at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readBinary(TBinaryProtocol.java:363)
> 	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Column.read(Column.java:528)
> 	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.ColumnOrSuperColumn.read(ColumnOrSuperColumn.java:507)
> 	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.KeySlice.read(KeySlice.java:408)
> 	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$get_paged_slice_result.read(Cassandra.java:14157)
> 	at org.apache.thrift.TServiceClient.receiveBase(TServiceClient.java:78)
> 	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.recv_get_paged_slice(Cassandra.java:769)
> 	at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.get_paged_slice(Cassandra.java:753)
> 	at org.apache.cassandra.hadoop.ColumnFamilyRecordReader$WideRowIterator.maybeInit(ColumnFamilyRecordReader.java:438)
>

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Lanny Ripple <lanny@spotright.com> wrote:
> It's slow going finding the time to do so but I'm working on that.
>
> We do have another table that has one or sometimes two columns per row.  We can run jobs
on it without issue.  I looked through org.apache.cassandra.hadoop code and don't see anything
that's really changed since 1.1.5 (which was also using thrift-0.7) so something of a puzzler
about what's going on.

> On Apr 17, 2013, at 2:47 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you reproduce this in a simple way ?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > -----------------
> > Aaron Morton
> > Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> > New Zealand
> >
> > @aaronmorton
> > http://www.thelastpickle.com
> >
> > On 18/04/2013, at 5:50 AM, Lanny Ripple <lanny@spotright.com> wrote:
> >
> >> That was our first thought.  Using maven's dependency tree info we verified
that we're using the expected (cass 1.2.3) jars

> >> $ mvn dependency:tree | grep thrift
> >> [INFO] |  +- org.apache.thrift:libthrift:jar:0.7.0:compile
> >> [INFO] |  \- org.apache.cassandra:cassandra-thrift:jar:1.2.3:compile
> >>
> >> I've also dumped the final command run by the hadoop we use (CDH3u5) and verified
it's not sneaking thrift in on us.

> >> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
wrote:
> >> Can you confirm the you are using the same thrift version that ships 1.2.3 ?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> -----------------
> >> Aaron Morton
> >> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> >> New Zealand
> >>
> >> @aaronmorton
> >> http://www.thelastpickle.com

1.1.5 when we didn't see such things but sure looks like there's a bug that's slipped in (or
been uncovered) somewhere.  I'll try to narrow down to a dataset and code that can reproduce.

Cassandra to confirm it's a Cassandra (or our use of Cassandra) problem.

with 1.1.5 to almost everything carping with 1.2.3.  Something has changed.  Perhaps we were
doing something wrong earlier that 1.2.3 exposed but surprises are never welcome in production.

some checks added in Thrift or Hector?

sstableupgrades and got the ring on its feet and we are now seeing a new issue.

Loaded the native-hadoop library
Initializing JVM Metrics with processName=MAP, sessionId=
setsid exited with exit code 0
ResourceCalculatorPlugin : org.apache.hadoop.util.LinuxResourceCalculatorPlugin@4a48edb5
Initializing logs' truncater with mapRetainSize=-1 and reduceRetainSize=-1
106

106).  Jobs that used to run fine now fail with code compiled against cass 1.2.3 (and work
fine if compiled against 1.1.5 and run against the 1.2.3 servers in production).  I'm using
the following setup to configure the job:

row and associated columns so all I'm really doing is exercising ColumnFamilyRecordReader.

If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and any attachments,
and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically stated in the
message or otherwise indicated, you may not duplicate, redistribute or forward this message
or any portion thereof, including any attachments, by any means to any other person, including
any retail investor or customer. This message is not a recommendation, advice, offer or solicitation,
to buy/sell any product or service, and is not an official confirmation of any transaction.
Any opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Barclays.

and, if received from Barclays' Sales or Trading desk, the terms available at: www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer/.
By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing. Barclays Bank PLC is a company registered
in England (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.
This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays group.