From Steppacher Ralf <ralf.steppac...@derivativepartners.com>
Subject How does a healthy node look like?
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:47:36 GMT
Hi,

I have troubles finding some quantitative information as to how a healthy Cassandra node should
look like (CPU usage, number of flushes,SSTables, compactions, GC), given a certain hardware
spec and read/write load. I have troubles gauging our first and only Cassandra node, whether
it needs tuning or is simply overloaded.
If anyone could point me to some data that would be very helpful.

(So far I have run the node with the default settings in cassandra.yaml and cassandra-env.
The log claims that the server is occasionally under memory pressure and I get frequent timeouts
for writes.  I see what I think are many flushes, compactions and GCs in the log. Some toying
with heap and new gen sizes, key cache, and the compaction throughput settings did not improve
the overall situation much.)

Thanks!
Ralf