From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Any plans for read-before-write update operations in CQL3?
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 01:59:06 GMT
I would guess not.

> I know this goes against keeping updates idempotent,
There are also issues with consistency. i.e. is the read local or does it happen at the CL
level ?
And it makes things go slower.

>  We currently do things like this in client code, but it would be great to be able to
this on the server side to minimize the chance of race conditions.
Sometimes you can write the plus one into a new column and then apply the changes in the reading
client thread.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 4/04/2013, at 12:48 AM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Are there any short/long term plans to support UPDATE operations that require read-before-write,
such as increment on a numeric non-counter column?
> i.e.
>
> UPDATE CF SET NON_COUNTER_NUMERIC_COLUMN = NON_COUNTER_NUMERIC_COLUMN + 1;
>
> UPDATE CF SET STRING_COLUMN = STRING_COLUMN + "postfix";
>
> etc.
>
> I know this goes against keeping updates idempotent, but there are times you need to
do these kinds of operations. We currently do things like this in client code, but it would