From Michael Theroux <mthero...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: CQL Clarification
Date Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:06:19 GMT
Yes, that does help,

So, in the link I provided:

http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/references/cql/UPDATE

It states:

You can specify these options:

Consistency level
Time-to-live (TTL)
Timestamp for the written columns.

Where timestamp is a link to "Working with dates and times" and mentions the 64bit millisecond
value.  Is that incorrect?

-Mike

On Apr 28, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Michael Theroux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just wondering if I can get a quick clarification on some simple CQL.  We utilize Thrift
CQL Queries to access our cassandra setup.  As clarified in a previous question I had, when
using CQL and Thrift, timestamps on the cassandra column data is assigned by the server, not
the client, unless "AND TIMESTAMP" is utilized in the query, for example:

> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/references/cql/UPDATE
>
> According to the Datastax documentation, this timestamp should be:
>
> "Values serialized with the timestamp type are encoded as 64-bit signed integers representing
a number of milliseconds since the standard base time known as the epoch: January 1 1970 at
00:00:00 GMT."

> However, my testing showed that updates didn't work when I used a timestamp of this format.
 Looking at the Cassandra code, it appears that cassandra will assign a timestamp of System.currentTimeMillis()
* 1000 when a timestamp is not specified, which would be the number of nanoseconds since the
stand base time.  In my test environment, setting the timestamp to be the current time * 1000
seems to work.  It seems that if you have an older installation without TIMESTAMP being specified
in the CQL,   or a mixed environment, the timestamp should be * 1000.

> Just making sure I'm reading everything properly... improperly setting the timestamp
could cause us some serious damage.