From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: hints compaction
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 05:04:06 GMT
> What are the proper compaction settings for the hints CF?  Mine are:
> compaction={'min_threshold': '0', 'class':
> 'SizeTieredCompactionStrategy', 'max_threshold': '0'}
Compaction is run manually by the code when it finishes delivering hints.

> Is hints compaction a common problem?  What are steps to remedy?

Any errors in the logs ?
Are there many -tmp- files in the hint's dir ?
Is your cluster having problems with flapping nodes or dropped messages that result in a lot
of hint storage?

You could use nodetool to stop the compaction tasks then run a major compaction on the Hints
CF.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant