From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: upgrading 1.1.x to 1.2.x via sstableloader
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 01:54:11 GMT
> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: SSTable zzz/xxx/yyy-hf-47-Data.db is not compatible
with current version ib
You cannot stream files that have a different on disk format.

1.2 can read the old files, but cannot accept them as streams. You can copy the files to the
new machines and use nodetool refresh to load them, then upgradesstables to re-write them
before running repair.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 3/04/2013, at 10:53 PM, Michał Czerwiński <michal@qubitproducts.com> wrote:

> Does anyone knows what is the best process to put data from cassandra 1.1.x (1.1.7 to
be more precise) to cassandra 1.2.3 ?

> I am trying to use sstableloader and stream data to a new cluster but I get.
>
> ERROR [Thread-125] 2013-04-03 16:37:27,330 IncomingTcpConnection.java (line 183) Received
stream using protocol version 5 (my version 6). Terminating connection

> ERROR [Thread-141] 2013-04-03 16:38:05,704 CassandraDaemon.java (line 164) Exception
in thread Thread[Thread-141,5,main]

> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: SSTable zzz/xxx/yyy-hf-47-Data.db is not compatible
with current version ib

>         at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamIn.getContextMapping(StreamIn.java:77)
>
>         at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.IncomingStreamReader.<init>(IncomingStreamReader.java:87)
>
>         at org.apache.cassandra.net.IncomingTcpConnection.stream(IncomingTcpConnection.java:238)
>
>         at org.apache.cassandra.net.IncomingTcpConnection.handleStream(IncomingTcpConnection.java:178)
>
>         at org.apache.cassandra.net.IncomingTcpConnection.run(IncomingTcpConnection.java:78)
>

> I've changed Murmur3Partitioner to RandomPartitioner already and I've noticed I am not
able to use 1.1.7's sstableloader so I copied sstables to new nodes and tried doing it locally
on cassandra 1.2.3, but it seems protocol versions do not match (see error above)

> The reason why I want to use sstableloader is that I have different number of nodes and
would like to avoid using rsync and then repair/cleanup of excessive data.