From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra Client Recommendation
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:50:54 GMT
Was a typo, should have been "One note on"

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 18/04/2013, at 7:23 AM, Techy Teck <comptechgeeky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Aaron for the suggestion. I am not sure, I was able to understand regarding one
node thing you mentioned on the native binary protocol? Can you please elaborate that?

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> One node on the native binary protocol, AFAIK it's still considered beta in 1.2
>
> Also +1 for Astyanax
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 17/04/2013, at 6:50 PM, Francisco Trujillo <F.Trujillo@genetwister.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > We are using Cassandra 1.6 at this moment. We start to work with Hector, because
it is the first recommendation that you can find in a simple google search for java clients
Cassandra.

> > We start using Hector but when we start to have non dynamically column families,
that can be managed using cql, we start to use astyanax because:
> > -          It is easy to understand the code even for people who has never worked
with Cassandra.
> > -          The cql implementation offer more capabilities
> > -          Astyanax is prepared to use Cql 3 and with hector we experienced some
problems (probably our fault, but with Astyanax everything works from the beginning).
> > -          Astyanax allow to use compound primary keys.
> >
> > In next months we are going to substitute Hector by Astyanax totally but at this
moment we are using both:

> > -          Astyanax for cql.
> > -          Hector for dynamic column families.

slightly? What do you mean by that?
> > 3) Does Astyanax supports asynch capabilities?
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Everton Lima <peitin.inutil@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Techy,
> >
> > We are using Astyanax with cassandra 1.2.4.
> >
> > beneficits:
> >  * It is so easy to configure and use.
> >  * Good wiki
> >  * Mantained by Netflix
> >  * Solution to manage the store of big files (more than 15mb)
> >  * Solution to read all rows efficiently
> >
> > problems:
> >  * It consume more memory
> >

> > 2013/4/16 Techy Teck <comptechgeeky@gmail.com>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have recently started working with Cassandra Database. Now I am in the process
of evaluating which Cassandra client I should go forward with.
> > I am mainly interested in these three-
> >
> > --1)      Astyanax client
> >
> > 2--)      New Datastax client that uses Binary protocol.
> >
> > --3)      Pelops client
> >

> > Can anyone provide some thoughts on this? Some advantages and disadvantages for
these three will be great start for me.