From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: upgrading 1.1.x to 1.2.x via sstableloader
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 17:04:28 GMT
>  Is it safe to change sstable file name to avoid name collisions?
Yes.
Make sure to change the generation number for all the components.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 4/04/2013, at 3:01 PM, Michał Czerwiński <michal@qubitproducts.com> wrote:

> I see, thanks for the replay!
>
> One more question:
>
> I can see that multiple nodes have same sstable names for a certain keyspace / cf.
> I am moving 8 nodes to a 6 nodes cluster, so at some point when putting sstables in place
I would overwrite files from other node. What is the best way to solve this problem? Is it
safe to change sstable file name to avoid name collisions?

> On 4 April 2013 02:54, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> > java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: SSTable zzz/xxx/yyy-hf-47-Data.db is not
compatible with current version ib
> You cannot stream files that have a different on disk format.
>
> 1.2 can read the old files, but cannot accept them as streams. You can copy the files
to the new machines and use nodetool refresh to load them, then upgradesstables to re-write
them before running repair.

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 3/04/2013, at 10:53 PM, Michał Czerwiński <michal@qubitproducts.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone knows what is the best process to put data from cassandra 1.1.x (1.1.7
to be more precise) to cassandra 1.2.3 ?

> > I am trying to use sstableloader and stream data to a new cluster but I get.
> >
> > ERROR [Thread-125] 2013-04-03 16:37:27,330 IncomingTcpConnection.java (line 183)
Received stream using protocol version 5 (my version 6). Terminating connection

> > ERROR [Thread-141] 2013-04-03 16:38:05,704 CassandraDaemon.java (line 164) Exception
in thread Thread[Thread-141,5,main]

> > java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: SSTable zzz/xxx/yyy-hf-47-Data.db is not
compatible with current version ib

> >         at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.StreamIn.getContextMapping(StreamIn.java:77)
> >
> >         at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.IncomingStreamReader.<init>(IncomingStreamReader.java:87)
> >
> >         at org.apache.cassandra.net.IncomingTcpConnection.stream(IncomingTcpConnection.java:238)
> >
> >         at org.apache.cassandra.net.IncomingTcpConnection.handleStream(IncomingTcpConnection.java:178)
> >
> >         at org.apache.cassandra.net.IncomingTcpConnection.run(IncomingTcpConnection.java:78)
> >

> > I've changed Murmur3Partitioner to RandomPartitioner already and I've noticed I
am not able to use 1.1.7's sstableloader so I copied sstables to new nodes and tried doing
it locally on cassandra 1.2.3, but it seems protocol versions do not match (see error above)

> > The reason why I want to use sstableloader is that I have different number of nodes
and would like to avoid using rsync and then repair/cleanup of excessive data.