From Michael Theroux <mthero...@yahoo.com>
Subject Advice on memory warning
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:00:23 GMT
Hello,

We've recently upgraded from m1.large to m1.xlarge instances on AWS to handle additional load,
but to also relieve memory pressure.  It appears to have accomplished both, however, we are
still getting a warning, 0-3 times a day, on our database nodes:

WARN [ScheduledTasks:1] 2013-04-19 14:17:46,532 GCInspector.java (line 145) Heap is 0.7529240824406468
full.  You may need to reduce memtable and/or cache sizes.  Cassandra will now flush up to
the two largest memtables to free up memory.  Adjust flush_largest_memtables_at threshold
in cassandra.yaml if you don't want Cassandra to do this automatically

This is happening much less frequently than before the upgrade, but after essentially doubling
the amount of available memory, I'm curious on what I can do to determine what is happening
during this time.

I am collecting all the JMX statistics.  Memtable space is elevated but not extraordinarily
high.  No GC messages are being output to the log.

These warnings do seem to be occurring doing compactions of column families using LCS with
wide rows, but I'm not sure there is a direct correlation.

We are running Cassandra 1.1.9, with a maximum heap of 8G.

Any advice?
Thanks,
-Mike