From DE VITO Dominique <dominique.dev...@thalesgroup.com>
Subject data modeling from batch_mutate point of view
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 15:57:56 GMT
Hi,

I have a use case that sounds like storing data associated with files. So, I store them with
the CF:
rowkey = (folder_id, file_id)
colname = property name (about the file corresponding to file_id)
colvalue = property value

And I have CF for "manual" indexing:
rowkey = (folder_id, indexed value)
colname = (timestamp, file_id)
colvalue = ""

like
rowkey = (folder_id, note_of_5) or (folder_id, some_status)
colname = (some_date, some_filename)
colvalue = ""

I have many CF for indexing, as I index according to different (file) properties.

So, one alternative design for indexing CF could be:
rowkey = folder_id
colname = (indexed value, timestamp, file_id)
colvalue = ""

Alternative design :
* pro: same rowkey for all indexing CF => **all** indexing CF could be updated through
one batch_mutate
* con: repeating "indexed value" (1er colname part) again ang again (= a string up to 20c)

According to pro vs con, is the alternative design more or less interesting ?

Thanks.

Dominique