From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Any plans for read-before-write update operations in CQL3?
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 19:18:13 GMT
Hi Guys,

Are there any short/long term plans to support UPDATE operations that require read-before-write,
such as increment on a numeric non-counter column?
i.e.

UPDATE CF SET NON_COUNTER_NUMERIC_COLUMN = NON_COUNTER_NUMERIC_COLUMN + 1;

UPDATE CF SET STRING_COLUMN = STRING_COLUMN + "postfix";

etc.

I know this goes against keeping updates idempotent, but there are times you need to do these
kinds of operations. We currently do things like this in client code, but it would be great
to be able to this on the server side to minimize the chance of race conditions.

-- Drew