From Ben Bromhead <...@instaclustr.com>
Subject Re: Using an EC2 cluster from the outside.
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 01:34:01 GMT
Depending on your client, disable automatic client discovery and just specify a list of all
your nodes in your client configuration.

For more details check out http://xzheng.net/blogs/problem-when-connecting-to-cassandra-with-ruby/
, obviously this deals specifically with a ruby client but it should be applicable to others.

Cheers

Ben
Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr

On 18/04/2013, at 5:43 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM, <maillists0@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a working 3 node cluster in a single ec2 region and I need to hit it from our
datacenter. As you'd expect, the client gets the internal addresses of the nodes back.

> Someone on irc mentioned using the public IP for rpc and binding that address to the
box. I see that mentioned in an old list mail but I don't get exactly how this is supposed
to work. I could really use either a link to something with explicit directions or a detailed
explanation.

> Should cassandra use the public IPs for everything -- listen, b'cast, and rpc? What should
cassandra.yaml look like? Is the idea to use the public addresses for cassandra but route
the requests between nodes over the lan using nat?