From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra Client Recommendation
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:21:58 GMT
One node on the native binary protocol, AFAIK it's still considered beta in 1.2

Also +1 for Astyanax

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 17/04/2013, at 6:50 PM, Francisco Trujillo <F.Trujillo@genetwister.nl> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are using Cassandra 1.6 at this moment. We start to work with Hector, because it is
the first recommendation that you can find in a simple google search for java clients Cassandra.

> We start using Hector but when we start to have non dynamically column families, that
can be managed using cql, we start to use astyanax because:
> -          It is easy to understand the code even for people who has never worked with
Cassandra.
> -          The cql implementation offer more capabilities
> -          Astyanax is prepared to use Cql 3 and with hector we experienced some problems
(probably our fault, but with Astyanax everything works from the beginning).
> -          Astyanax allow to use compound primary keys.
>
> In next months we are going to substitute Hector by Astyanax totally but at this moment
we are using both:

> -          Astyanax for cql.
> -          Hector for dynamic column families.

What do you mean by that?
> 3) Does Astyanax supports asynch capabilities?
>

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Everton Lima <peitin.inutil@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Techy,
>
> We are using Astyanax with cassandra 1.2.4.
>
> beneficits:
>  * It is so easy to configure and use.
>  * Good wiki
>  * Mantained by Netflix
>  * Solution to manage the store of big files (more than 15mb)
>  * Solution to read all rows efficiently
>
> problems:
>  * It consume more memory
>

> 2013/4/16 Techy Teck <comptechgeeky@gmail.com>
> Hello,
>
> I have recently started working with Cassandra Database. Now I am in the process of evaluating
which Cassandra client I should go forward with.
> I am mainly interested in these three-
>
> --1)      Astyanax client
>
> 2--)      New Datastax client that uses Binary protocol.
>
> --3)      Pelops client
>

> Can anyone provide some thoughts on this? Some advantages and disadvantages for these
three will be great start for me.