From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Building SSTables using SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter (v. 1.2.3)
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:55:13 GMT
The key to your problem is likely the row key.

Take a look in at the table schema / sample data in the cassandra-cli to see how CQL uses
composites also

The simple thing to do is use COMPACT STORAGE but that may not suite all use cases

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

On 20/04/2013, at 4:36 PM, David McNelis <> wrote:

> Was trying to do a test of writing SSTs for a CQL3 table.  So I created the following
> CREATE TABLE test_sst_load (
>   mykey1 ascii,
>   mykey2 ascii,
>   value1 ascii,
>   PRIMARY KEY (mykey1, mykey2)
> )
> I then set up my writer like so: (moved to gist:
> This created my SST files ok and they imported without throwing any sorts of errors (had
-v and --debug on) when using sstableloader.
> When I went to query my data in cqlsh, I got an rpc error.  In my system.log I saw an
exception: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
>  (also at the gist above).
> I had a feeling that it wouldn't work.. but I can't see a way with the SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter
(or in the AbstractSSTableWriter) to create an sstable file that is going to work with the
CQL3 tables.  I know its got to be possible, I can import SSTs with the sstableloader from
one cluster to another, where the tables are CQL3.
> What am I missing here?

View raw message