http://www.slideshare.net/edwardcapriolo/cassandra-as-memcache

Read at ONE.
READ_REPAIR_CHANCE as low as possible.

Use short TTL and short GC_GRACE.

Make the in memory memtable size as high as possible to avoid flushing and compacting.

Optionally turn off commit log.

You can use cassandra like memcache but it is not a memcache replacement. Cassandra persists writes and compacts SSTables, memcache only has to keep data in memory.

If you want to try a crazy idea. try putting your persistent data on a ram disk! Not data/system however!