Hello guys!
I'm researching the behaviour for truncate operations at cassandra.

Reading the oficial wiki page(http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/API) we can understand it as:
"Removes all the rows from the given column family."

And reading the DataStax page(http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/references/cql/TRUNCATE) we can understand it as:
"TRUNCATE statement results in the immediate, irreversible removal of all data in the named column family."

But I think there is a missing and important point about truncate operations.
At least at 1.2.0 version, whenever I run a truncate operation, C* automatically creates a snapshot file of the column family, resulting in a fake free disk space.

I'm intentionally mentioning 'fake free disk space' because I only figured it out when the machine disk space was at high usage.

- Is it a security C* behaviour of creating snapshots for each CF before truncate operation?
- In my scenario I need to purge my column family data every day.
  I thought that truncate could handle it based at the docs. But it doesnt.
  And since I dont want to manually delete those snapshots, I'd like to know if there is a safe and practical way to perform a daily purge of this CF data.

Thanks in advance!