I am using C*1.1.6.

"Did you restart the node after changing the row_cache_size_in_mb ?"

No, I didn't. I used the nodetool setcachecapacity and didn't restart the node.

"The changes in GC activity are not huge and may not be due to cache activity"

I find them hudge, and just happened on the node in which I had enabled row cache. I just enabled it on .164 node from 10:45 to 10:48 and the heap size doubled from 3.5GB to 7GB (out of 8, which induced memory pressure). About GC, all the collections increased a lot compare to the other nodes with row caching disabled.

"What is the output from nodetool info?"

I can give it to you but, row cache i now disabled.

Token            : 85070591730234615865843651857942052864
Gossip active    : true
Thrift active    : true
Load             : 201.61 GB
Generation No    : 1362749056
Uptime (seconds) : 328675
Heap Memory (MB) : 5157.58 / 8152.00
Data Center      : eu-west
Rack             : 1b
Exceptions       : 24
Key Cache        : size 104857584 (bytes), capacity 104857584 (bytes), 106814132 hits, 120131310 requests, 0.858 recent hit rate, 14400 save period in seconds
Row Cache        : size 0 (bytes), capacity 0 (bytes), 0 hits, 0 requests, NaN recent hit rate, 0 save period in seconds

I think it won't help, but I can't try things now unless we are quire sure it will work smooth, we are on heavy load.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help once again.