The advantage of HH is that it reduces the probability of a DigestMismatch when using a CL > ONE. A DigestMismatch means the read has to run a second time before returning to the client.

> - No risk of hinted-handoffs building up
> - No risk of hinted-handoffs flooding a node that just came up
See the yaml config settings for the max hint window and the throttling.

> Can anyone suggest any other factors that I'm missing here. Specifically
> reasons
> not to do this.
If you are doing this for performance first make sure your data model is efficient, that you are doing the most efficient reads (see my presentation here http://www.datastax.com/events/cassandrasummit2012/presentations), and your caching is bang on. Then consider if you can tune the CL, and if your client is token aware so it directs traffic to a node that has it.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton

On 4/03/2013, at 9:19 PM, Michael Kjellman <mkjellman@barracuda.com> wrote:

Also, if you have enough hints being created that its significantly impacting your heap I have a feeling things are going to get out of sync very quickly.

On Mar 4, 2013, at 9:17 PM, "Wz1975" <wz1975@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

Why do you think disabling hinted handoff will improve memory usage?

Thanks.
-Wei

Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T