From Marina <>
Subject cannot start Cassandra on Windows7
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:21:09 GMT
I have downloaded apache-cassandra-1.2.3-bin.tar.gz and un-zipped it on my
Windows7 machine (I did not find a Windows-specific distributable...). Then, I
tried to start Cassandra as following and got an error:

C:\Marina\Tools\apache-cassandra-1.2.3\bin>cassandra.bat -f
Starting Cassandra Server
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't figure out log4j configuration:
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.initLog4j(CassandraDaemo
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.<clinit>(CassandraDaemon
Could not find the main class: org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.  Pr
ogram will exit.

It looks similar to the Cassandra issue that was already fixed:

however I am still getting this error....
I am an Administrator on my machine, and have access to all files in the apache-
cassandra-1.2.3\conf dir, including the log4j ones.

Do I need to configure anything else on Winows ? I did not find any Windows-
specific installation/setup/startup instructions - if there are such documents
somewhere, please let me know!

View raw message