From Ben Chobot <be...@instructure.com>
Subject removing old nodes
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 17:33:39 GMT
I've got a 1.1.5 cluster, and a few weeks ago I removed some nodes from it. (I was trying to
upgrade nodes from AWS' large to xlarge, and for some reason that made sense at the time,
it seemed better to double my nodes and then decommission the smaller ones, rather than to
simply rebuild the existing nodes serially.)

Now the remaining nodes are all frequently logging that the old, decommissioned nodes are
dead and that their old token is being removed.... which is great, I guess, but why does my
cluster know about them at all? Doing a nodetool removetoken doesn't work, as the dead nodes
don't display in the ring. Is this expected behavior after a nodetool decommission? Is maybe
something cached that I can safely uncache?