From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: CQL queries timing out (and had worked)
Date Sun, 31 Mar 2013 10:30:28 GMT
> So that mismatch can break rpc across the cluster, apparently.
mmm, that ain't right.

Anything in the logs?
Can you reproduce this on a small cluster or using ccm https://github.com/pcmanus/ccm ?
Can you raise a ticket ?

Thanks

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 29/03/2013, at 9:17 PM, David McNelis <dmcnelis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Final reason for problem:
>
> We'd had one node's config for rpc type changed from sync to hsha...
>
> So that mismatch can break rpc across the cluster, apparently.
>
> It would be nice if there was a good way to set that in a single spot for the cluster
or handle the mismatch differently.  Otherwise, if you wanted to change from sync to hsha
in a cluster you'd have to entirely restart the cluster (not a big deal), but CQL would apparently
not work at all until all of your nodes had been restarted.

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM, David McNelis <dmcnelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Appears that restarting a node makes CQL available on that node again, but only that
node.

> Looks like I'll be doing a rolling restart.
>

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM, David McNelis <dmcnelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running 1.2.3 and have both CQL3 tabels and old school style CFs in my cluster.
>
> I'd had a large insert job running the last several days which just ended.... it had
been inserting using cql3 insert statements in a cql3 table.

> Now, I show no compactions going on in my cluster but for some reason any cql3 query
I try to execute, insert, select, through cqlsh or through external library, all time out
with an rpc_timeout.

> If I use cassandra-cli, I can do "list tablename limit 10" and immediately get my 10
rows back.

> However, if I do "select * from tablename limit 10" I get the rpc timeout error.  Same
table, same server.  It doesn't seem to matter if I'm hitting a cql3 definited table or older
style.