From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra instead of memcached
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 07:45:15 GMT
consider disabling durable_writes in the KS config to remove writing to the commit log. That
will speed things up for you. Note that you risk losing data is cassandra crashes or is not
shut down with nodetool drain.

Even if you set the gc_grace to 0, deletes will still need to be committed to disk.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 5/03/2013, at 9:51 AM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ben, that article was actually the reason I started thinking about removing memcached.
>
> I wanted to see what would be the optimum config to use C* as an in-memory store.
>
> -- Drew
>

> On Mar 5, 2013, at 2:39 AM, Ben Bromhead <ben@instaclustr.com> wrote:
>
>> Check out http://techblog.netflix.com/2012/07/benchmarking-high-performance-io-with.html
>>
>> Netflix used Cassandra with SSDs and were able to drop their memcache layer. Mind
you they were not using it purely as an in memory KV store.

>> Ben
>> Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr
>>

>> On 05/03/2013, at 4:33 PM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I'm thinking about using Cassandra as an in-memory key/value store instead of
memcached for a new project (just to get rid of a dependency if possible). I was thinking
about setting the replication factor to 1, enabling off-heap row-cache and setting gc_grace_period
to zero for the CF that will be used for the key/value store.