From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: Insert v/s Update performance
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:15:00 GMT
LCS is generally used for high read vs. write ratio though it sounds like you may be doing
a heavy write load instead.  LCS will involve more compactions as you write to the system
compared to STCS because LCS is always trying to keep a 1 to 10 ratio between levels.  While
LCS will involve more compaction in general(more I/o, more cpu), I am not sure on update vs.
insert though From what I understand STCS will happily duplicate rows across SS tables while
LCS does not like to do this so as you update you will constantly compact….well, that is
my understanding.  Have you tried STCS out at all?  (ps. This is just from what I understand
so take with a grain of salt).

Also, there are some great tools in the nodetool tool as well so you can get nodetool compactionstats,
etc. etc. and see how backlogged you are in pending tasks….how many pending?

Later,
Dean

From: Jay Svc <jaytechgeek@gmail.com<mailto:jaytechgeek@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:08 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Insert v/s Update performance

Thanks Dean,

I have used LCS with sstable_size_in_mb of 15. I have also tried bigger sstable_size_in_mb
and observed simillar behavior.

Does compaction works differently for update v/s Insert? I belive all keys goes to single
SST. What other options I should look into?

Thanks,
Jay

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov<mailto:Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov>>