From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: Migrating from mySQL to Cassandra
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 18:11:31 GMT
Definitely read up on patterns out there.  The more info you gather, the easier it goes in
designs.

http://buffalosw.com/wiki/Patterns-Page/

From: Tyler Hobbs <tyler@datastax.com<mailto:tyler@datastax.com>>
Date: Monday, March 4, 2013 9:47 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Migrating from mySQL to Cassandra

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:08 AM, John Grogan <Vanguard@dir-uk.org<mailto:Vanguard@dir-uk.org>>
wrote:

A quick question for you - I am completely new to noSQL databases and the architecture of
Cassandra. So, I'm still way down the learning curve.

I downloaded and installed the OpsCenter last night, but I first need to configure it. I want
to install 2 nodes on my laptop and then start building some code around it to move my DB
from mySQL. I've had a look at the DataStax website for some info on the very basics - setting
up nodes, configuration etc, but couldn't see anything. Is there anything there that you can
point me at? Or alternatively, any other sites that provide a good overview with examples?

This page should be helpful: http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.2/index

Steven's suggestion to use ccm to run a small cluster on your laptop is also good; that's
a very easy way to go.  If you go with ccm, there's a little work that needs to be done with
OpsCenter to get it working: http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/running-opscenter-with-a-local-development-cluster

I see that Jonathan Ellis is in London Wednesday at the Cassandra group's talk so will try
to drop by and say hello.

Cool, I hope the meetup goes well.

--
Tyler Hobbs