From Michael Kjellman <mkjell...@barracuda.com>
Subject Re: no backwards compatibility for thrift in 1.2.2? (we get utter failure)
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 02:39:08 GMT
Dean,

I think if you look back through previous mailing list items you'll find
answers to this already but to summarize:

Tables created prior to 1.2 will continue to work after upgrade. New
tables created are not exposed by the Thrift API. It is up to client
developers to upgrade the client to pull the required metadata for
serialization and deserialization of the data from the System column
family instead.

I don't know Netflix's time table for an update to Astyanax but I'm sure
they are working on it. Alternatively, you can also  use the Datastax java
driver in your QA environment for now.

If you only need to access existing column families this shouldn't be an
issue

On 3/3/13 6:31 PM, "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:

>I remember huge discussions on backwards compatibility and we have a ton
>of code using thrift(as do many people out there).  We happen to have a
>startup bean for development that populates data in cassandra for us.  We
>cleared out our QA completely(no data) and ran thisÅ .it turns out there
>seems to be no backwards compatibility as it utterly fails.
>
>From astyanax point of view, we simply get this (when going back to
>1.1.4, everything works fine.  I can go down the path of finding out
>where backwards compatibility breaks but does this mean essentially
>everyone has to rewrite their applications?  OR is there a list of
>breaking changes that we can't do anymore?  Has anyone tried the latest
>astyanax client with 1.2.2 version?
>
>An unexpected error occured caused by exception RuntimeException:
>com.netflix.astyanax.connectionpool.exceptions.NoAvailableHostsException:
>NoAvailableHostsException: [host=None(0.0.0.0):0, latency=0(0),
>attempts=0]No hosts to borrow from
>
>Thanks,
>Dean

Copy, by Barracuda, helps you store, protect, and share all your amazing
things. Start today: www.copy.com.