From Edward Capriolo <>
Subject Re: no backwards compatibility for thrift in 1.2.2? (we get utter failure)
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 04:18:27 GMT
Your other option is to create tables 'WITH COMPACT STORAGE'. Basically if
you use COMPACT STORAGE and create tables as you did before.

>From an application standpoint, if you can't do sparse, wide rows, you
break compatibility with 90% of Cassandra applications. So that rules out
almost everything; if you can't provide the same data model, you're
creating fragmentation, not pluggability.

I now call Cassandra compact storage 'c*' storage, and I call CQL3 storage
'c*++' storage. See debates on c vs C++ to understand why :).

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Michael Kjellman <>wrote:

> Dean,
> I think if you look back through previous mailing list items you'll find
> answers to this already but to summarize:
> Tables created prior to 1.2 will continue to work after upgrade. New
> tables created are not exposed by the Thrift API. It is up to client
> developers to upgrade the client to pull the required metadata for
> serialization and deserialization of the data from the System column
> family instead.
> I don't know Netflix's time table for an update to Astyanax but I'm sure
> they are working on it. Alternatively, you can also  use the Datastax java
> driver in your QA environment for now.
> If you only need to access existing column families this shouldn't be an
> issue
> On 3/3/13 6:31 PM, "Hiller, Dean" <> wrote:
> >I remember huge discussions on backwards compatibility and we have a ton
> >of code using thrift(as do many people out there).  We happen to have a
> >startup bean for development that populates data in cassandra for us.  We
> >cleared out our QA completely(no data) and ran thisÅ .it turns out there
> >seems to be no backwards compatibility as it utterly fails.
> >
> >From astyanax point of view, we simply get this (when going back to
> >1.1.4, everything works fine.  I can go down the path of finding out
> >where backwards compatibility breaks but does this mean essentially
> >everyone has to rewrite their applications?  OR is there a list of
> >breaking changes that we can't do anymore?  Has anyone tried the latest
> >astyanax client with 1.2.2 version?
> >
> >An unexpected error occured caused by exception RuntimeException:
> >
> >NoAvailableHostsException: [host=None(, latency=0(0),
> >attempts=0]No hosts to borrow from
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Dean
> Copy, by Barracuda, helps you store, protect, and share all your amazing
> things. Start today:

View raw message