From julien Campan <julien.cam...@gmail.com>
Subject Best practices for nodes to come back
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:02:05 GMT
Hi,

I have a question about the nodes coming back to the cluster after a long
interruption.

First of all, I explain my use case. I have a cluster that processes many
requests with consistency ONE and I wouldn’t change it because of an
incident.  Secondly, I don't want to return the old information from this
node. So, I want to avoid reading from this node until it gets repaired.

After looking at documentation I see two possible solutions:

1) Start the incoming node in “survey mode”, wait until the end of the
hints (or end of repair) and restart the node in “normal mode”.

2) Use the “nodetool remove node”, remove data repository and change the IP
address of the removed node (I’m working in virtual environment), and add
the node again to the cluster. In this case I will be in a “autobootstrap
mode".

I wonder which solution is the best, and if there is a more simple and
better solution to for my use case.

Thanks.