From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: recv_describe_keyspace bug in org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra ?
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 04:21:52 GMT
By design. There may be a plan to change in the future, I'm not aware of one though.

CQL 3 tables created without COMPACT STORAGE store all keys and columns using Composite Types.
They also store some additional columns you may not expect.

If you want to interrop with thrift based API's like PIG it's best to use COMPACT STORAGE.

You can always create CF's the old way using the cassandra-cli.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 20/03/2013, at 12:09 AM, cscetbon.ext@orange.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm testing Pig (0.11) with Cassandra (1.2.2). I've noticed that when the column family
is created without WITH COMPACT STORAGE clause, Pig can't find it :(
> After searching in the code, I've found that the issue comes from the function recv_describe_keyspace.
This function returns a KsDef with an empty cf_defs array when there is no column family with
COMPACT STORAGE clause. I conclude that all column families that must be accessed by Pig must
be defined with this storage clause, but I wandering if it is a bug ? I suppose ..

> Thanks.
> --
> Cyril SCETBON

> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou
privilegiees et ne doivent donc
> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message
par erreur, veuillez le signaler
> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques
etant susceptibles d'alteration,
> France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme
ou falsifie. Merci.

> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that
may be protected by law;
> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message
and its attachments.
> As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that have
been modified, changed or falsified.