From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Row cache off-heap ?
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 06:11:40 GMT
What version are you using?

Sounds like you have configured it correctly. Did you restart the node after changing the
row_cache_size_in_mb ?
The changes in GC activity are not huge and may not be due to cache activity. Have they continued
after you enabled the row cache?

What is the output from nodetool info?

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 11/03/2013, at 5:30 AM, Sávio Teles <savio.teles@lupa.inf.ufg.br> wrote:

> I have the same problem!
>
> 2013/3/11 Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com>
> I can add that I have JNA corectly loaded, from the logs: "JNA mlockall successful"
>

> 2013/3/11 Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com>
> Any clue on this ?
>
> Row cache well configured could avoid us a lot of disk read, and IO is definitely our
bottleneck... If someone could explain why the row cache has so much impact on my JVM and
how to avoid it, it would be appreciated :).

There is the effect this operation had on my JVM: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4171/datastaxopscenterr.png

> It looks like the row cache was somehow stored in-heap. I looked at my cassandra.yaml
and I have the following configuration: row_cache_provider: SerializingCacheProvider (which
should be enough to store row cache off-heap as described above in this file: "SerializingCacheProvider
serialises the contents of the row and stores it in native memory, i.e., off the JVM Heap")