From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: backing up and restoring from only 1 replica?
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:10:55 GMT
Hinted Handoff works well. But it's an optimisation that has certain safety valves, configuration
and throttling that means it is still not considered the way to ensure on disk consistency.

In general, if a node restarts or drops mutations HH should get the message there eventually.
In specific cases it may not.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 4/03/2013, at 10:40 AM, Mike Koh <defmikekoh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  Could you elaborate more on the bad things that happen during
a restart or message drops that would cause a 1 replica restore to fail?  I'm completely on
board with not using a restore process that nobody else uses, but I need to convince somebody
else who thinks that it will work that it is not a good idea.

> On 3/4/2013 7:54 AM, aaron morton wrote:
>> That would be OK only if you never had node go down (e.g. a restart) or drop messages.
>>
>> It's not something I would consider trying.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> -----------------
>> Aaron Morton
>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>> New Zealand
>>
>> @aaronmorton
>> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>>
>> On 28/02/2013, at 3:21 PM, Mike Koh <defmikekoh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It has been suggested to me that we could save a fair amount of time and money
by taking a snapshot of only 1 replica (so every third node for most column families).  Assuming
that we are okay with not having the absolute latest data, does this have any possibility
of working?  I feel like it shouldn't but don't really know the argument for why it wouldn't.