From <moshe.kr...@barclays.com>
Subject RE: Lots of Deleted Rows Came back after upgrade 1.1.6 to 1.1.10
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:11:49 GMT
This obscure feature of Cassandra is called "haunted handoff".

Happy (early) April Fools :)

From: aaron morton [mailto:aaron@thelastpickle.com]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 7:45 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Lots of Deleted Rows Came back after upgrade 1.1.6 to 1.1.10

As you see, this node thinks lots of ranges are out of sync which shouldn't be the case as
successful repairs where done every night prior to the upgrade.
Could this be explained by writes occurring during the upgrade process ?

I found this bug which touches timestamp and tomstones which was fixed in 1.1.10 but am not
100% sure if it could be related to this issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5153
Me neither, but the issue was fixed in 1.1.0

 It appears that the repair task that I executed after upgrade, brought back lots of deleted
rows into life.
Was it entire rows or columns in a row?
Do you know if row level or column level deletes were used ?

Can you look at the data in cassanca-cli and confirm the timestamps on the columns make sense
?

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant