From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: recv_describe_keyspace bug in org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra ?
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:24:08 GMT
> Is there a way to have the column family defined the new way in a DC and the old way (WITH
COMPACT STORAGE) in another DC ?
No.

Try a search of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA to see if there is an existing
ticket for PIG to support CQL 3. If not, raise one describing your use case and is possible
offering to help.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 26/03/2013, at 2:52 AM, cscetbon.ext@orange.com wrote:

> No one else concerned by the fact that we must define the column families the old way
to access it with Pig ?
> Is there a way to have the column family defined the new way in a DC and the old way
(WITH COMPACT STORAGE) in another DC ?

> Thanks
> --
> Cyril SCETBON
> Expert bases de données
> Humanlog pour France Télécom
> DMGP/PORTAILS/DOP/HEBEX/ARCHI
>
> Tél : +33 (0)4 97 46 29 56
> France Telecom - Orange
> 790 Avenue du Docteur Maurice Donat
> Bâtiment Marco Polo C1
> Bureau 406
> 06251 Mougins
> France
>
> On Mar 20, 2013, at 9:59 AM, cscetbon.ext@orange.com wrote:
>
>> On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:21 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> By design. There may be a plan to change in the future, I'm not aware of one
though.
>> bad news. If someone else has more information about that, don't hesitate !
>> Do you know how hard it would be to change this behaviour ? to not skip tables without
compact storage format

>>> CQL 3 tables created without COMPACT STORAGE store all keys and columns using
Composite Types. They also store some additional columns you may not expect.
>> I suppose that if we are aware of that we can take it into account. And that's the
job of the Pig script to take  only the columns it wants

>>> If you want to interrop with thrift based API's like PIG it's best to use COMPACT
STORAGE.
>> yes, but it means that I must recreate tables in production, and that rows will be
stored in a single column on disk which may hurt performance. It's said in the documentation
that this format is an old one that should be avoided. I suppose there are other issues with
it that could  be found ??

>>> You can always create CF's the old way using the cassandra-cli.
>>
>> Regards
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> -----------------
>>> Aaron Morton
>>> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
>>> New Zealand
>>>
>>> @aaronmorton
>>> http://www.thelastpickle.com

column family is created without WITH COMPACT STORAGE clause, Pig can't find it :(
recv_describe_keyspace. This function returns a KsDef with an empty cf_defs array when there
is no column family with COMPACT STORAGE clause. I conclude that all column families that
must be accessed by Pig must be defined with this storage clause, but I wandering if it is
a bug ? I suppose ..

ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

this message and its attachments.
that have been modified, changed or falsified.

>> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles
ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
>> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message
par erreur, veuillez le signaler
>> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques
etant susceptibles d'alteration,