From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: create secondary index on column family
Date Sat, 23 Mar 2013 17:45:21 GMT
> But a error is thrown saying "can not parse name as hex bytes".
If the comparator is Bytes then the column names need to be a hex string.

The easiest thing to do is create a CF where the comparator is UTF8Type so you can use string
column names.

> just that the UTF8Type needs to be validated before storing the data into database and
BytesType need not to?

It takes *very* little additional effort.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 23/03/2013, at 12:10 AM, Xu Renjie <xrjxrjxrjnet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, continued:
>    I have created a column family User with no parameters specified, just
>      create column family User.
>  Then I checked that the default comparator is BytesType.
>
>   Then I want to create secondary index on one column like below:
>   update column family User with column_metadata=[{column_name:name, validation_class:BytesType,
index_type:0}];
> But a error is thrown saying "can not parse name as hex bytes".
>
> So I wonder under this situation, is it possible to create index using cassandra-cli,
if possible, how?

> Furthermore, I wonder what's the difference of type BytesType and UTF8Type and other
types underlying.
> If I store string 'name' into database, do they have the same internal bytes stored in
Cassandra,