From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Best practices for nodes to come back
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 05:22:17 GMT
If you node has been dead for less then gc_grace you can return it to the cluster and run nodetool
repair (without the -pr). Until repair has completed will be getting inconsistent results,
but if you have been using ONE / ONE for all ops that is a possibility for everything.

If the node has been down for longer than gc_grace you cannot bring it back. Remove it from
another node using nodetool and bootstrap a new node with the same token.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 12/03/2013, at 3:02 AM, julien Campan <julien.campan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about the nodes coming back to the cluster after a long interruption.
>
> First of all, I explain my use case. I have a cluster that processes many requests with
consistency ONE and I wouldn’t change it because of an incident.  Secondly, I don't want
to return the old information from this node. So, I want to avoid reading from this node until
it gets repaired.

> After looking at documentation I see two possible solutions:
>
> 1) Start the incoming node in “survey mode”, wait until the end of the hints (or
end of repair) and restart the node in “normal mode”.

> 2) Use the “nodetool remove node”, remove data repository and change the IP address
of the removed node (I’m working in virtual environment), and add the node again to the
cluster. In this case I will be in a “autobootstrap mode".