From Brett Tinling <btinl...@lacunasystems.com>
Subject Re: secondary index problem
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:59:18 GMT
We are using CL ONE for mutates.

As for the large batches, yes, our use pattern has exceeded the initial understanding.  We
plan to rewrite this bit, but it has not been a problem so far (or maybe this index thing
is the problem that forces the rewrite?).  On the rare timeout, we retry...

I have a test program trying to cause the error now.  So far, no luck.

On Mar 19, 2013, at 1:03 AM, aaron morton wrote:

>> Seems like when we have updates that are large (10k rows in one mutate) the problem
is more likely to occur.
> 10K rows in one mutate is a very bad idea.
> It will take the nodes a long time to process them, risking time out,  and it will essentially
starving other requests.

> You should also specify a CL level so we understand if this you are using cassandra in
an eventually consistent or strongly consistent way.

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 19/03/2013, at 11:02 AM, Brett Tinling <btinling@lacunasystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Aaron,
>>
>> No recipe yet.  It pops up randomly and, i think due to the nature of our app, goes
away.

>> Seems like when we have updates that are large (10k rows in one mutate) the problem
is more likely to occur.

>> I'll try to workout a repro...
>>
>> -Brett
>>
>> On Mar 18, 2013, at 10:18 AM, aaron morton wrote:
>>
>>> Brett,
>>> 	Do you have some steps to reproduce the problem ? If so please create a ticket
on jira.

>>> Cheers

>>> Aaron Morton
>>> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
>>> New Zealand
>>>
>>> @aaronmorton
>>> http://www.thelastpickle.com

 I get it too every time I recycle a node on 1.1.10.

when we query that CF for all rows matching 'type'.  We can find the missing rows if we query
by key.

there a way to know when it needs to be done?  Do we have to run rebuild on all nodes?