From Fredrik <fredrik.l.stigb...@sitevision.se>
Subject mmaped files and swap
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:39:50 GMT
I've got a question regarding understanding the recomendation to disable
swap.
Since Cassandra uses mlockall to lock the heap in RAM what is the reason
for disabling swap?
My guess is that is has to do with memory mapped files but as of my
understanding, accessing pages of
memory mapped files, those pages are never put in swap since they're
backed by files on disk and the OS
writes those pages to the memory mapped file instead of swap.
We've seen on Cassandra installations on Linux with swap enabled that
parts of the java process is swaped out and increasing.
So what's swaped out?

Regards
/Fredrik