From Mike Koh <defmike...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: backing up and restoring from only 1 replica?
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 18:40:03 GMT
Thanks for the response.  Could you elaborate more on the bad things
that happen during a restart or message drops that would cause a 1
replica restore to fail?  I'm completely on board with not using a
restore process that nobody else uses, but I need to convince somebody
else who thinks that it will work that it is not a good idea.

On 3/4/2013 7:54 AM, aaron morton wrote:
> That would be OK only if you never had node go down (e.g. a restart) or drop messages.
>
> It's not something I would consider trying.
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 28/02/2013, at 3:21 PM, Mike Koh <defmikekoh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It has been suggested to me that we could save a fair amount of time and money by
taking a snapshot of only 1 replica (so every third node for most column families).  Assuming
that we are okay with not having the absolute latest data, does this have any possibility
of working?  I feel like it shouldn't but don't really know the argument for why it wouldn't.