From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra instead of memcached
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:51:21 GMT
Thanks Ben, that article was actually the reason I started thinking about removing memcached.

I wanted to see what would be the optimum config to use C* as an in-memory store.

-- Drew

On Mar 5, 2013, at 2:39 AM, Ben Bromhead <ben@instaclustr.com> wrote:

> Check out http://techblog.netflix.com/2012/07/benchmarking-high-performance-io-with.html
>
> Netflix used Cassandra with SSDs and were able to drop their memcache layer. Mind you
they were not using it purely as an in memory KV store.

> Ben
> Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr
>

> On 05/03/2013, at 4:33 PM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I'm thinking about using Cassandra as an in-memory key/value store instead of memcached
for a new project (just to get rid of a dependency if possible). I was thinking about setting
the replication factor to 1, enabling off-heap row-cache and setting gc_grace_period to zero
for the CF that will be used for the key/value store.