From <cscetbon....@orange.com>
Subject Re: recv_describe_keyspace bug in org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra ?
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:59:19 GMT
On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:21 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:

> By design. There may be a plan to change in the future, I'm not aware of one though.

bad news. If someone else has more information about that, don't hesitate !
Do you know how hard it would be to change this behaviour ? to not skip tables without compact
storage format

> CQL 3 tables created without COMPACT STORAGE store all keys and columns using Composite
Types. They also store some additional columns you may not expect.
I suppose that if we are aware of that we can take it into account. And that's the job of
the Pig script to take  only the columns it wants

> If you want to interrop with thrift based API's like PIG it's best to use COMPACT STORAGE.

yes, but it means that I must recreate tables in production, and that rows will be stored
in a single column on disk which may hurt performance. It's said in the documentation that
this format is an old one that should be avoided. I suppose there are other issues with it
that could  be found ??

> You can always create CF's the old way using the cassandra-cli.

Regards

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 20/03/2013, at 12:09 AM, cscetbon.ext@orange.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm testing Pig (0.11) with Cassandra (1.2.2). I've noticed that when the column
family is created without WITH COMPACT STORAGE clause, Pig can't find it :(
>> After searching in the code, I've found that the issue comes from the function recv_describe_keyspace.
This function returns a KsDef with an empty cf_defs array when there is no column family with
COMPACT STORAGE clause. I conclude that all column families that must be accessed by Pig must
be defined with this storage clause, but I wandering if it is a bug ? I suppose ..

>> Thanks.
>> --
>> Cyril SCETBON
>>
>> _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>>
>> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles
ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
>> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message
par erreur, veuillez le signaler
>> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques
etant susceptibles d'alteration,
>> France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere,
deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

>> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information
that may be protected by law;
>> they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
>> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this
message and its attachments.
>> As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that
have been modified, changed or falsified.
>> Thank you.

et ne doivent donc
erreur, veuillez le signaler
susceptibles d'alteration,
France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou
falsifie. Merci.

be protected by law;
and its attachments.