From John Grogan <Vangu...@dir-uk.org>
Subject Re: Migrating from mySQL to Cassandra
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 12:05:29 GMT
Thanks Steven - I will take a look.

On 4 Mar 2013, at 11:41, Steven Siebert wrote:

> Since your just starting out and it seems like you want to get past the admin hurdles
and start coding, may I suggest you use https://github.com/pcmanus/ccm to get your local test
environment setup.

> Setting up a production Cassandra cluster takes a fair amount of planning (before) and
tuning (during/after) in my experience.  Both need to be done once you decide Cassandra is
"right" for your data....ccm is nice in that you don't need to invest a lot in Cassandra to
figure that out :-)

> Hope this helps,

> On Mar 4, 2013 6:08 AM, "John Grogan" <Vanguard@dir-uk.org> wrote:
> Tyler,
>
> A quick question for you - I am completely new to noSQL databases and the architecture
of Cassandra. So, I'm still way down the learning curve.

> I downloaded and installed the OpsCenter last night, but I first need to configure it.
I want to install 2 nodes on my laptop and then start building some code around it to move
my DB from mySQL. I've had a look at the DataStax website for some info on the very basics
- setting up nodes, configuration etc, but couldn't see anything. Is there anything there
that you can point me at? Or alternatively, any other sites that provide a good overview with
examples?

> I see that Jonathan Ellis is in London Wednesday at the Cassandra group's talk so will
try to drop by and say hello.

> Best,
> John.
>

> On 3 Mar 2013, at 17:06, Tyler Hobbs wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:06 AM, John Grogan <Vanguard@dir-uk.org> wrote:
>>
>> However, the crux is figuring out an easy way to import the data into Cassandra.
Does anyone have any thoughts they can share?

>> If you don't have a very large dataset and you're not pressed for time, just iterating
over your existing data with a normal mysql client and inserting into Cassandra with a normal
Cassandra client is the easiest option.  Using multiple threads or processes can make this
pretty quick.